Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Look Back

Today is the Anniversary of the September 11th terrorist attacks, a day that I will never forget. Every time I hear this version of Auld Lang Syne, it makes me reflect on things that have happened in this countries past, yet I never knew what an impact those things must have had on individuals until September 11th. I remember hearing when I had got to school that a plane had flown into the World Trade Center, but at that time we had no idea what was to come. I remember a teacher bursting into my 1st period class screaming that a second plane had done the same thing. My teacher immediately turned on the television and that day through out school all I heard was more horrific events unfold. When I got home from school, I didn't have to go to work since they had closed the mall. I woke up my Dad who had been sleeping all day(since he hadn't got home till 6a.m.) he had no idea that anything had happened. We watched the news all night in horror. I didn't lose anyone that I knew, but I still cry when I see old news clippings or hear the news announcements at the end of this song. I can't imagine going through such times as Pearl Harbor, World War II, Vietnam, the Civil Rights Movement, having a President be shot in broad daylight, or watching a rocket with average people blow up before my eyes. These events and many more will forever be implanted in the heads of those who lived and witnessed them. I am sorry to say that I am sure in my life time I will witness maybe some of the most disturbing to come, and maybe in my childrens the biggest ever. I just right this post to remember, because it's something no one should ever forget.

No comments: